Located in the serene Arizona desert, you’ll find our residential eating disorder facility in Mesa that serves adolescents ages 10-17 of all genders. We are conveniently located to support those in the surrounding Phoenix area, yet close enough to the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport to accommodate patients and families coming from out of state.
The 24-bed facility makes Mesa one of Center for Discovery’s largest residential treatment programs with the highest staff-to-patient ratio for even more support. What sets Mesa apart is that treatment is geared to patients who are in need of more nutritional rehabilitation. The Mesa center feels like a residence within a medical environment, in which enhanced psychiatric approaches from expert healthcare professionals take place.
Food Is Medicine for the Brain
When a patient with an eating disorder needs more nutritional support, getting them the best nutritional care is the primary goal. With the CFD Nutrition Therapy Program at Mesa, the process of allowing food flexibility combined with nutritional psychiatry is at the forefront of treatment. We collaborate with medical professionals to promote the stability and nutrition rehabilitation for the body and the brain. This comprehensive and transformative approach empowers patients to find what recovery means for them so they can carve the right path to improve their relationships with food, mind and body.
Once the patient is ready, they will receive evidence-based, trauma-informed treatment such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). Patients will also transition to exposure & response prevention (ERP) techniques, which are commonly used to help individuals overcome anxiety. ERP therapy slowly helps patients reintegrate their foods and food situations that have been avoided so that they can finally “make peace” with these foods. Additionally, a full-time education liaison is on-site to support a patient with their schoolwork and to collaborate with the patient’s school. Getting to the root cause of the eating disorder through such therapies and additional support will help the patient move to the next level of care, continuing them on the path to a lifetime of recovery. Other clinical care components for Mesa patients include:
- Discovery Flex™ Nutrition Program, a proprietary approach to nutrition rehabilitation and intervention, promoting Intuitive Eating free from food rules, nourishing for the brain, body and soul.
- Inclusive Nutrition™ encourages patients to try new and different foods to develop a true sense of their own food preferences. The goal is to neutralize all foods.
- Intentional nutrition menus and snack choices to help patients nutritionally restore the brain and body along with rebuilding intuitive cues from their bodies including, fullness and satisfaction.
- Structured nutrient-rich snack program to give patients greater choice and autonomy in food selection.
- Dietary family support including sessions that help the support system understand the Discovery Flex Nutrition Program. Family members will also receive a weekly update from the dietitian that includes meal plan completion, ERP updates and any changes in dietary privileges.
- Post-discharge access to continued treatment based on clinical need to any one of Center for Discovery’s 50+ traditional residential treatment programs, partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient programs, operating in 12 states.
Patients can also expect programs after treatment, such as:
- Aftercare to facilitate transitions and challenges post-discharge.
- A customized Discovery app to provide information, resources and a community of support for family members.
- Discovery alumni online support groups, in-person and virtual events for family members and patients to assist in post-discharge transition and provide an ongoing support system to facilitate long-term recovery.
Preferred In-Network Provider
Center for Discovery is a preferred provider with most major insurance companies. Our team of experienced insurance verification specialists will confirm not only if the level of care you are seeking is covered by your policy but also determine what, if any, out of pocket cost you would incur. Reach out to the team today to verify your coverage.
Virtual treatment available: CFD outpatient programs can also be accessed via online telehealth services.
Center For Discovery Woodland Hills Outpatient provides partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient treatment to patients of all genders and all ages. This facility is located in the Warner Center, just off the 101 freeway, between the city of Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley. There are many universities including, UCLA, USC, Cal State Northridge, Moorpark Community College and California Lutheran University, making this treatment center popular among college students. This outpatient treatment center offers yoga therapy, EMDR therapy and many other therapies that approach the mind and body connection. Treatment modalities we offer include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), exposure & response prevention (ERP) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
In addition to receiving evidence-based therapies, patients all have the opportunity to put “joyful” back into movement through yoga and other activities. Discovery’s specialized binge eating disorder (BED) program, Path to Peace, is also offered at this location.
Insurances we accept include but are not limited to Aetna/Shaller Anderson/GHC/First Health/Auto/WorkersComp, Fortified Provider Network (FPN), MCCP (Medical Cost Containment Professionals, LLC), OPTUM BH (PBH, UHC, UBH) and UNICARE – Beacon HS. Please remember that the insurances we accept change frequently. Our insurance team will verify your coverage.
MEET THE TEAM
Here’s What Patients Say After Completing Treatment*
- 97% can identify their triggers*
- 97% believe they can help themselves get better*
- 96% understand when to ask for help*
“Our experience at Center for Discovery was top notch. We are incredibly grateful to them for not only their professionalism, but their knowledge as well as compassion for our daughter and family.” – Sarah S., parent of CFD alumni
“This experience was life-changing.” – Mave C., former patient at CFD
*Percentage includes adult and adolescent patients who admitted to the Center for Discovery program in 2021 (between 1/1/2021 and 12/31/2021) and completed the Recovery Assessment Scale (RAS, N=2,644). Average treatment range 41.3 days for those who completed treatment (did not discharge to higher level of care, due to insurance, against treatment advice transfer or administratively).
We offer free, online support groups for those struggling with an Eating Disorder. Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.