Know What Factors Can Contribute to an Eating Disorder?
Eating disorders can stem from a variety of factors that include psychological, interpersonal, social, and biological. Eating disorders can be influenced by environment as well. It is important to know that eating disorders are not all about food. Eating disorder behaviors such as restricting, purging, and binging, are coping skills individuals use when under distress. Here are some factors that can contribute to an eating disorder:
- Low Self Esteem
- Feelings of lack of control in life
- Depression, anxiety, stress, loneliness, anger
- Dysfunctional personal relationships
- Difficulty expressing emotions
- History of being bullied about weight or size
- History of physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, or neglect
- Our culture glorifies being thin, therefore putting pressure on women to diet
- Discrimination related to size/weight
- Overproduction of serotonin in the brain
- Irregular hormone functions
Once eating disorder behaviors are started, they can create a self-perpetuating cycle of physical and emotional destruction. The earlier an eating disorder is discovered and addressed, the better the chance for recovery.
Need Help? Talk to One of Our Admission Specialists
Call Center for Discovery now at 800.760.3934. If you are struggling with your recovery, or need treatment, don’t hesitate to call Center for Discovery immediately with any questions. Call now and speak to one of our highly trained admission specialists today. Or fill out this form for a FREE assessment. All calls are completely FREE and strictly confidential.